Saturday, January 3, 2015

"Silent Night"

December 29th, 2014    Quito, Ecuador.


Hello Family and Friends,

As the Hymn of Silent Night says, "Silent Night, Holy Night all is calm, All is bright." This phrase describes exactly what Thursday night (Christmas night) felt like for us. 

This morning Elder Aravena was changed to a different part of Ecuador and I recieved a new companion, Elder Sueldo. He is awesome and I am excited to work with him. 

This week I learned the importance of mercy. 

Sometimes as you progress along different routes you find the way that gives you success, but this week--I was humbled. We were teaching a member family who were going through difficulties with their son. However, they weren't reading, praying, nor having family home evenings. After they had shared with us their concerns, I started right in with the scriptures --explaining the importance of reading the scriptures, and then I went on to the importance of prayer, then to family home evening. The words and doctrine came to mind like none other.  But Elder Aravena, my companion, just cut me off. I was so surprised. He had never cut me off before and he didn't do it smoothly either... 
We finished the lesson with me feeling frustrated and mad, and everybody else crying. I was so confused. Why did he cut me off? What did I say? On the way home I asked him, "Hey, why did you cut me off, and what did I say wrong?"  He told me that what I had said was all true. It was pure doctrine ---but the spirit wasn't there. He told me that God is just and merciful. And that this family needed to know of His mercy.

Wow, did I learn a lesson! 

We have to remember that there is always a way or a chance to change. May we always remember that. 

Love you all,

Elder Hall

No comments:

Post a Comment